Where do you seek inspiration? Traveling is one of my favorite ways to renew myself and garner inspiration. Since I can’t always travel as much as I would like to, I do a lot of reading. I love reading about how other people achieved their successes, you learn so much from an authentic story of trial and error because no journey is ever without it’s highs and lows.
Another way I seek inspiration is via Pinterest and Tumblr. The images + information I have found via these sites has been priceless to a visual addict like myself. Photography has always been a side addiction for me as well. Taking pictures of things you find interesting + beautiful . . . seeing the textures and colors of nature up close and personal can be a great way to trigger new ideas.
Fabric + leather swatches and a blank sheet of paper are great motivators for me to design something new. Just the mere feel, or smell of leather can get my pencil moving on paper. There are so many different things that can be done with leather textures these days, and the PU (faux leather) textures are pretty amazing as well. If you are looking for ways to get inspired I have listed 5 Ways to Find Inspiration Below . . .
5 Ways to Find Inspiration
- Travel:: You don’t have to go far. You can even visit the next city closest to your town, or your own city for that matter. Just go somewhere you haven’t been before. Notice the buildings, types of plants + trees, landscaping and what people are wearing. If you’re able to get out of town, notice what customs or rituals are taking place around you. Do people speak with accents? What are they wearing? What colors do you notice recurring?
- Read:: Books, magazines, blogs + newspaper articles can all be great sources of inspiration. Some of my favorite reads are foreign fashion magazines (even though I often can not read the articles, the editorial styles, typography and fashions are different enough to be inspiring). I also read a lot of business related materials. Some books that have been most helpful to me are the 99U series, Austin Kleon’s Show Your Work + Steal Like an Artist , Blogging Your Way to the Front Row by Yuli Ziv and Hijacking the Runway by Teri Agins. There are so many books I love, but those are a few gems I keep on hand at my desk. I am also a coffee table book adddict (apparently I have many addictions) but a beautifully bound book with stunning images gets me everytime.
- Go for a walk:: (Similar to #1) Just getting out of your immediate surroundings, ie. your desk or office, can open up a world of inspiration. The fresh air and sunshine on your face will do you a world of good by allowing you to momentarily take your mind off your work and put it on your surroundings. Conversely, taking a walk in the rain will do the same thing. (I favored rainy day walks more as a child, these days I hate being wet with clothes on, but that might be something that floats your boat! And you’ll never know if you haven’t tried it so keep an eye out and an umbrella handy for the next rainy day!).
- Old Black + White Movies:: I love a good old film noir. Give me the the bad girls of Old Hollywood any day over the newbies of today. Joan Crawford, Betty Davis + Gene Tierney are amongst my favorites. I love looking at the clothes they wore, how they spoke, what the houses and cars looked like and even how the men + children were dressed. Loads of inspiration abounds in Old Hollywood . . .
- Get Quiet:: Information overload is real people! Don’t get me wrong, I love the era we live in. The answer to any question you may have is right at your fingertips with the help of google or Siri, but sometimes you just gotta shut off the tech and get into the peace and quietness of the moment. Let the sounds around you take the forefront, listen to your breathing and clear your mind. See what ideas pop into your head. See who’s voice you hear. Talk to God. You never know what inspired ideas you may be missing because you haven’t stopped to listen!
How do you seek inspiration?